Keto Red Velvet Cake
I have made a wonderful keto red velvet cake that I have adapted to keto. This was Michael’s grandmother’s recipe, so I wanted to make it for him for his birthday. This is one of the cakes that Michael’s grandmother always used to make and I was able to write down from her before she passed. Whenever I make this I just know that it will remind Michael of his childhood when his grandma would make this cake for him and remind me of the time I spent with his grandmother.
To Color Or Not To Color. That is the question.
You can certainly do this cake without any food coloring at all or you could add red velvet emulsion to add to the flavor of this cake, but it will not change the color much. To get the classic red color you do have to add food coloring. Michael’s grandmother’s recipe called for 2 oz of food coloring, but I only added 1 oz and it seems to be red enough… I think so anyway.
This is a rich and dense cake with light frosting that will satisfy your craving for cake while staying on track. Eating healthy has never tasted so sweet. I frost this with our cream cheese frosting, but you could frost it with buttercream frosting if you would rather. Either way would be delicious.
We also have a great Boston Cream Pie recipe.
Nutrition for the recipe is on My Fitness Pal just search Certainlyketo-Keto Red Velvet Cake.
Keto Red Velvet Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup erythritol powdered or sweeten to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp. dark cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 oz red food coloring you can add more food coloring if it is not red enough for you
- Add ½ Tbsp. coconut flour for every additional oz of food coloring you add.
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp. red velvet emulsion this does not add much color but it does add to the taste (optional)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2-3 Tbsp erythritol powdered or to taste
- Cake Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 8 inch round cake pans, set aside.
- Cream together butter and erythritol until smooth.
- Add eggs, sour cream, and apple cider vinegar. Blend until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together with a fork or whisk, almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa, and baking soda until combined.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time to wet ingredients with a hand mixer until blended.
- Add vanilla and red food coloring or emulsion until the color is uniform throughout cake mix.
- Pour half of the cake batter into each of the cake pans evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before removing from pans.
- Remove from pans.
- Frosting Instructions:
- In a medium size bowl cream together cream cheese and butter.
- In a separate bowl beat heavy cream until it is whipped cream.
- Add whipped cream to cream cheese mixture, add erythritol.
- Beat all together until smooth and fluffy.
- Frost cake with cream cheese frosting when the cake is completely cooled.
- Store the frosted cake in the refrigerator.
Nutrition includes the frosting in this recipe.
We are participants in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, we earn small fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This in no way impacts the price of any item for the customer.