Great Grandma’s Keto Chocolate Pie
We are participants in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, we earn small fees by linking to Amazon.com
Here is a keto chocolate pie recipe that will knock your socks off. This recipe is near and dear to my heart also, as it is my great grandmother’s and is always a favorite at all family gatherings. My grandmother, being not much of a baker, would always request that I make this for her birthday. She said it reminded her of her childhood.
Of course, this recipe had to be adapted twice. Once because my great grandmother’s recipes were like cracking a code. She would put a pinch of this, a smidge of that, and then knead it ’til it feels like this. Not a real reliable recipe if you don’t know what it is supposed to be like. So, I perfected it just like great grandma… well, at least according to my grandma.
Tribute To My Grandma Jean
Then, I adapted it again to keto. So, this one is for my Grandma Jean, whom I lost last year. I hope that it is a favorite in your family like it is in mine. This is the best chocolate meringue pie recipe ever and my family agrees.
Because I had to recreate it several times my family said they were going to say it was wrong just so I would keep making it. LOL. The final version is an almost exact recreation of my grandma’s chocolate pie. I didn’t know my great grandmother that well, but this was my grandma’s favorite pie. I was so glad that I was able to make it for her and now make it keto so that my family and I can continue to enjoy it.
Favorite Pie at Thanksgiving or Anytime
I make this pie at Thanksgiving, not just for the family dinner, but also because my grandmother’s birthday was around Thanksgiving and instead of a cake she would want me to make her this pie. She was so protective of it too. It was very funny she would be like, “My pie! Nobody else touches it!” My whole family would come over on Thanksgiving. They all just love this pie so much that I usually have to make 2-3 of just the chocolate pie.
Family Recipes Are The Best
It makes it special when a family recipe can be passed down. Even though my grandma is gone now I will always think of her every time I make “her” pie. I really hope that this will become a family favorite for you as well. You can think of my grandma too when you make it… just kidding.
Try one of our other desserts recipes:
Nutrition for the recipe is on My Fitness Pal just search Certainlyketo-Great Grandma’s Keto Chocolate Pie
Great Grandma's Keto Chocolate Meringue Pie
- In a medium saucepan put almond milk and heavy cream on medium to low heat.
- Whisk together. When the temperature of the liquid is right before boiling (about a minute) break bakers chocolate into pieces and add to hot liquid.
- Whisk until all chocolate is melted and combined with liquid.
- Put heat to low.
- Separate egg yolks in one bowl and egg whites in another.
- Temper eggs (take ¼ cup of the hot liquid and put half at a time in the eggs yolks and whisk until combined, this brings the eggs up to the same temperature as the rest of the liquid and will keep it from scrambling the eggs when it is combined with the rest of the liquid)
- Then pour the egg yolks into the saucepan with the rest of the liquid.
- Whisk together until fully combined.
- Add xanthan gum, vanilla, and liquid stevia, whisk thoroughly to combine. Increase the temperature to medium and whisk consistently until pie filling thickens.
- When thickened it will be the consistency of pudding.
- Pour pie filling into a prebaked pie shell.
- You can get our pie shell recipe.
- Beat egg white with cream of tartar and vanilla with an electric mixer on high until soft peaks form. Then, gradually add the powdered erythritol a little at a time.
- Beat until stiff peaks glossy peaks form and sweetener is dissolved.
- Spread meringue over hot filling making sure to seal to the edge of the pie shell to prevent shrinkage. With the side of a rubber spatula create peaks on top of the meringue.
- Bake at 325°F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Let cool on the counter for 2 hours.
- Then, place in the fridge until serving. It will set more the longer it is in the fridge.
- I find it best the next day.
We use granular erythritol then we use a coffee grinder to powder it.
We are participants in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, we earn small fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This in no way impacts the price of any item for the customer.