Rate This Recipe!
I made this keto Stromboli from a modified version of my pizza crust recipe, which is based on fathead dough. Yes, this recipe has vital wheat gluten in it, but unless you are allergic to wheat gluten or have celiac disease it is fine for keto. Vital wheat gluten is a protein that is in many vegetarian items including seitan.
For the Love of Pizza!!!!
If you have read my pizza dough blog post you will know that Michael LOVES pizza and would eat it all the time if I made it. However, I can get sick of pizza, so I wanted to make something that would make both of us happy. Although, sometimes I make him pizza and I just make a batch of my wings for me. Yum Yum. 😋
What is Stromboli?
A stromboli is like a calzone only less work. Instead of making individual calzones I would rather make one long stromboli and then just cut it up into slices. It is a cross between a sandwich and a pizza, it may lean one way or the other depending on what you put in it. I doubled this recipe and made one that was pepperoni, sauce, and mozzarella, while the other one was pepper jack cheese, sauce, peppers, and onions. However, you can put whatever you like in it. For instance, I made one once that had ham, cheese, and mustard, it was delish.
Nutrition for the recipe is on My Fitness Pal just search Certainlyketo-Keto Stromboli.
The nutrition listed on My Fitness Pal and in the recipe is for the dough ONLY. Please, add the items you stuff it with separately to My Fitness Pal.
- Serves: 16 pieces
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Calories: 94
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 2
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 85
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 6
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella (you could also do a combination of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp. vital wheat gluten
- 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
- ½ Tbsp. butter (melted)
- ½ tsp. minced garlic
- In a microwave safe bowl place cream cheese and shredded cheese.
- Heat in microwave at 30-second intervals until the cheeses are melted enough to mix together and it pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Add sour cream and mix (this will cook down the cheese before adding the egg).
- Whisk the egg, add to the mixture and mix well.
- Mix in almond flour, coconut flour, and wheat gluten until fully incorporated and it makes a dough.
- Put a piece of parchment paper on the counter. Place the dough on top of the parchment paper and then add another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough.
- Roll out the dough (between the parchment papers) into a rectangle. Try to have the dough amount the same thickness in all areas. Don’t make it too thin. Mine was about 15 inch by 12 inches. The yield will be different based on how long the stromboli is.
- Remove the top parchment paper and add whatever you wish down the center of the dough. Leave enough room on the ends and both sides so you can pinch the ends and fold over each side to the middle and pinch shut.
- After adding your marinara sauce, meats, and cheeses, fold each side of the dough over the middle. You can use the parchment paper to help pull it over the middle. Do this with both sides.
- Pinch the ends to seal them. Pinch the seam of the dough to seal the rest of the stromboli.
- Wrap up, in either parchment paper or cling wrap, and place on a cookie sheet in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- This can be made a day ahead of time and left in the refrigerator overnight, for a quick and easy dinner.
- When you are ready to bake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Take the stromboli out of the refrigerator, remove the parchment paper (or cling wrap) and place back on a parchment lined cookie sheet, seam side down.
- Melt butter in the microwave and add minced garlic.
- With a pastry brush, brush the stromboli with the garlic butter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting into slices.
We are participants in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, we earn small fees by linking to Amazon.com and other affiliated sites. This in no way impacts the price of any item for the customer.