Scalloped Yellow Squash and Zucchini
I always loved scalloped potatoes. However, since going keto I can’t have potatoes, so I created this scalloped yellow squash and zucchini recipe. You could, of course, omit one or the other, but I like having both in this recipe. I just think they pair well together, so why not just have both.
If you have been to this blog before you probably know that I like to recreate family recipes into ones that we can still have on keto. There were a lot of recipes for meals that we used to have and now can’t, so I recreate them so we can still enjoy them. My dad always used to make this scalloped potato recipe since I was a little girl. So when I became an adult I asked him for it so that I could still make it.
Family and Friends
I made this recipe quite a few times over the years for family and friends. I have also brought it, countless times, to pot lucks at work (it was one of my most requested dishes). So to be able to have it, even in another form, is just great. It is just wonderful to share these family recipes with you. I hope that you and your family love this version just as much as my family does.
Other family recipes that I have recreated are:
Nutrition for the recipe is on My Fitness Pal just search Certainlyketo-Scalloped Yellow Squash and Zucchini.
- Serves: 10 servings
- Serving size: 1/10 of pan
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 12
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 147
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 4
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a 13x9 pan and set aside.
- Slice yellow squash and zucchini into thin slices (I use a mandolin to make it easier) and set aside.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, add milk and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer, whisking to prevent it from over boiling.
- Add xanthan gum and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Continue to whisk until the cheese melts, the xanthan gum is incorporated, and the mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in salt, pepper, and garlic pepper.
- Mix the finely diced onions into the cream mixture.
- In the greased 13x9 pan alternate layers of yellow squash/zucchini and cream mixture.
- Cook uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until the squash and zucchini are soft and cooked through.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. The sauce will thicken as it cools
We are participants in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, we earn small fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This in no way impacts the price of any item for the customer.