Keto Mock Mac and Cheese
This keto mock mac and cheese is great as a side dish or a main dish. Before going keto I would make this recipe, it was one of my kid’s favorite dinners. They were kind of bummed that I was not going to be making it anymore. Now I can make it for them again, in a much healthier way.
Another Family Recipe
My mom made this a lot when I was a kid and just like my kids it was one of my favorites. So when I moved out and started to learn how to cook (my mom tried to teach me, I just was not interested when I was a kid) I just had to have that recipe from my mom. I think it was one of the first dinners I learned how to make. If I could make it back then, anyone could make it. I was not a very good cook when I first started and many years later I have a food blog, go figure.
The original recipe was not that difficult and this recipe is even easier than my mom’s recipe because with hers you have to make a roux. I did not make this using a roux. I also add ham to this dish to make it a complete meal (or omit the ham to have it as just a side dish).
Side dishes you can try:
Other dinner dishes you might like:
Nutrition for the recipe is on My Fitness Pal just search Certainlyketo–Keto Mock Mac and Cheese.
- Serves: 8 servings
- Serving size: 1 serving
- Calories: 315
- Fat: 25
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 472
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 17
- 1 large head cauliflower (cooked and cut up in bite size pieces)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 bricks sharp cheese (cut up)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. nutmeg (optional)
- Cut up ham pieces (optional)
- ¼ tsp. xanthan gum (optional, if needed)
- Wash and cut up cauliflower in bite-size pieces. Cook on the stove or in the microwave until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk together almond milk and heavy cream in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Heat the milk and cream until bubbles form around the edges of the saucepan.
- Add cut up and shredded cheddar cheese, whisk together until melted completely.
- The sauce should be smooth and creamy.
- Add already cooked cauliflower and mix together.
- If the sauce is not thick enough you can try letting it set a few minutes and see if it thickens up.
- If it is still too loose, add a bit of xanthan gum. Place back on the stove and cook for a couple more minutes. Let sit again for a few minutes.
- Season to taste. Nutmeg is optional, but I think it gives it a little something extra.
- Mix in ham pieces if adding to the recipe.
We are participants in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, we earn small fees by linking to Amazon.com and other affiliated sites. This in no way impacts the price of any item for the customer.